Technology, Girls, &
Empowering Girls and Women to use Space Technology and AI for Sustainable Development
August 23rd, 2021, 7:00 AM PST – 11:40 AM PST (Virtual Event)
Calling all girls who want to use technology for social good! Join us on August 23, 2021 for a virtual workshop and learn about powerful technology tools like artificial intelligence and space data (which includes big data sets collected by satellites).
Join us for a half-day of learning and exploration:
- You will learn how to build your own AI apps to help tackle problems like poverty, monitoring and protecting forests, conserving biodiversity, ocean conservation and energy conservation.
- You will be inspired to hear from experts who will share their stories and strategies for using AI to keep our planet and people healthy.
- You will also hear from other girls just like you who are using technology to lead change in their communities.
Technovation is partnering with the UN Office of Outer Space Affairs and the International Joint Conference on AI to bring this workshop to you!
You will have the special opportunity to attend the full conference and hear AI experts from around the world share how they use AI to solve different problems. IJCAI is the world’s oldest running AI conference (starting in 1969) and is a great way to get introduced to the people who innovate in AI. Below is our recommendation for a custom Technovation-IJCAI experience for you!!
Who this session is for:
This session is designed for girls who are interested in learning more about technology and how to use technology as a tool for solving problems in their communities. Educators who work with girls and young women may also find this session useful.
Workshop Schedule (PDT)
7:00 – 7:05 Welcome
7:05 – 7:25 Opening Keynote – How Space and AI technologies can support Sustainable Development
7:25 – 8:05 Tutorial: Make your own AI-based image recognition app
8:05 – 8:25 Panel Discussion with girls and women tackling climate change with AI
8:25 – 8:35 Break
8:35 – 8:50 Fireside Chat – How space data can change earthlings’ behavior
8:50 – 9:35 Tutorial – Learning how to use and manipulate space data to tackle problems in your community
9:35 – 9:50 Invited Talk – Environmental Justice – how space data can help
9:50- 10:20 Tutorial – Building an AI-based app that maps poverty
10:2o – 10:50 Tutorial – Building an AI-based app that maps illegal deforestation
10:50 -11:20 Tutorial – Building solutions to tackle energy poverty and climate justice
11:20 – 11:35 Closing Keynote – Your actions matter
11:35 – 11:40 Group Reflection and Closing
How to make the most of your first IJCAI conference!
Firstly, attend all the invited talks. Prof. Yoshua Bengio is a supporter of Technovation and a pioneer. In addition to everything he does, he also cares deeply about using AI for Good, is the co-founder of AI Commons (one of Technovation’s partners), as well as co-founder of Climate Change.AI.
Don’t worry if you don’t understand the terms. There is no pressure, no test. This is how you slowly get introduced to a new field. Just get familiar with the people who are driving AI!
Workshops are a great way to dive deeper into a topic. Here are some workshops that maybe of interest to you:
- Artificial Intelligence for Social Good
- Making good chatbots and AI dialog agents
- Understanding how humans learn in Real-world Educational Contexts
- How do you deploy AI systems in the real world, making high-stakes decisions
- Deceptive AI!
- Artificial Intelligence for Function, Disability, and Health
- AI FOR AGING, REHABILITATION AND INTELLIGENT ASSISTED LIVING
- Making sure AI doesn’t harm anyone
- Internet of things, using AI with different devices that collect data in the real-world
Relax, take notes, and reach out to presenters if you find their work interesting!