Senior Product Manager
Full-Time; Remote (within the United States) or from offices in LA (post-pandemic)
Starting salary range for this position is $95,000 – 105,000
Technovation (technovation.org) is a global tech education nonprofit that empowers girls and families to become leaders, creators and problem-solvers. Over the past 14 years, Technovation has engaged more than 100,000 underserved children and parents across 115+ countries through two flagship programs:
Technovation Girls equips young women (ages 10-18) to become tech entrepreneurs and leaders. With the support of volunteer mentors, girls work in teams to code mobile apps that address real-world problems. You may have seen Technovation featured in the award-winning documentary, CodeGirl
Technovation Families brings together families, schools, and mentors to learn, play, and create with artificial intelligence. Through hands-on projects, children (ages 8-16) and adults learn and use AI tools to address real-world problems in their communities.
Our mission is to inspire girls and families to be leaders and problem solvers in their lives and their communities.
About this opportunity
As a Senior Product Manager, you will play a key role on a small development team responsible for building and maintaining Technovation’s online learning platforms. You will work with the team to develop a clear product roadmap for our product team and also help the team deploy improvements to the platform, resulting in better data collection & improvement in student retention through our program and platforms. Success in the role will require a strong balance between strategic thinking, product and software development capabilities and influencing others.
This is a chance to be a part of a leading technology education nonprofit, in service to tens of thousands of girls and families in more than 100 countries.
One of the main goals of our work is to bring educational opportunities to underrepresented people and bring them into the technology workforce. We believe that, with the right learning opportunities and support, everyone has the ability to learn and to become technology creators.
What your role will entail:
- This is an end-to-end product management position that will require the ability to translate ideas, user feedback, and data into a prioritized roadmap in collaboration with other stakeholders, and then work with the team to execute it and deliver high-value features and improvements
- Create and map out Technovation’s long-term product vision and strategy, in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, to enable the organization to deliver on its mission
- Become an expert in navigating the constraints of our organization, from a small team, a variety of user experiences from around the world, and an education program that shifts quickly due to the advancements in the technology tools
- Function as a bridge across all Technovation stakeholders, helping us more deeply understand learner needs while also addressing the priorities and vision of our program partners, adult mentors, funders and board
- Gain a deep understanding of these users and collect data about how they engage with our products in order to work with the product team to fulfil their needs
- Recruit, grow, nurture, and retain our product team
- Foster an innovative, collaborative, and productive working environment.
- Balance and prioritize roadmap initiatives based on user needs and short and long term organization objectives.
- Manage and develop the team’s ability to set realistic goals and achieve the product team’s vision.
- Oversee and work with the Technical Program Manager to translate product strategy into priorities for the engineering team.
- Work with Dev Team and/or other stakeholders to collect user feedback to inform product development. Set up an ongoing, repeatable system to gather information from users.
You definitely don’t need to check every box but we’ll be looking for people with a bunch of these qualities.
- Experience working in a small mission driven team (outside of the tech world is a plus!)
- Ability to make tough decisions in complex and dynamic contexts
- Ability to align technology, product and program objectives with the organization’s overall vision, strategies, and objectives
- Proven track record of launching new products and/or programs from planning to launch
- Demonstrated project management skills, leading teams of diverse stakeholders.
- High user empathy with a strong focus on execution and being able to put ideas into action.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate findings/insights clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences to build a shared understanding of strategic priorities, goals, and constraints.
- Ability to identify information gaps and then implement or adjust systems to gather data and use it to inform decisions
- Able to advocate both for the needs and mission of the organization as well as the challenges facing the team. Relentless to remove roadblocks to the team’s success.
Bonus points for…
- Constructive communication and collaboration with both technical and non-technical teams
- Empathy for the end-user, for people of different cultures, languages, and education levels from your own
- Experience with agile and user-centered development practices (but you’re not dogmatic about it)
- Demonstrated commitment to STEM education, closing the gender gap in tech, or other issues related to Technovation’s mission
- Liking The IT Crowd, Sandi Metz, or whatever your fav is that you can share with us 🙂
Autonomy. In collaboration and negotiation with staff, you will make high level decisions about the work you will do, and how you will execute it. We don’t micromanage here. Just communicate clearly and discuss decisions with any people affected by it.
Flexible schedule. Go to appointments and run errands when you need to, as long as you’re getting your work done in good quality and on time. We have core hours, but no one is looking over your shoulder.
Ample paid time off. We offer 20 paid vacation days on top of regular holidays. (We also pay 100% of your healthcare coverage.)
Meaningful work. You’ll contribute directly to a project that provides technology education to students from underserved areas in 100 countries, all while helping to address the underrepresentation of women in STEM fields. Real people will express their gratitude to you in emails and slack chats.
Workplace input. If you can convince your coworkers, we are open to adopting new workflows, software, etc, that you think would improve our organization. The only formal approval commonly needed is for budget.
“Flat” organization. We do have a Leadership Team so that we know who to go to for help with issues and major decisions, and so that we have a clearly defined level of accountability, but you definitely won’t feel like you have a traditional boss or manager. All the way “up” to the CEO, we are transparent and honest. This isn’t fluff for a job posting, it’s something we actively practice and keep in check.
The best salary we can at the moment. Sure, you can make more at a top software company but at Technovation you’ll have purpose-driven work, personal freedom, meaningful collaboration, and real decision making power within the organization. As an education nonprofit, we don’t answer to shareholders, investors, and quarterly reports. Instead, we get to make what’s best for us and our users, on our own schedule. We will do everything we can to enable you to do the best work of your career and take pride in it.
How to apply:
Send the following to [email protected] using the subject line “Senior Product Manager”
- Resume (pdf format)
- In your email, or as an attached pdf, briefly describe your experience working as a Product manager on a team building web apps and why you want to join Technovation
Optionally, you may also include:
- a link to your GitHub profile, personal portfolio or website
- an example of a website, an app, or anything built with code that you love, and a sentence or two about what specifically you admire about it (doesn’t have to have been made by you)