SENIOR DIRECTOR OF
Full-time, remote position. Must be based in U.S. and live in/near a major metro area.
We seek an ambitious, entrepreneurial development leader to partner closely with our CEO, staff, and Board on short-term and long-term fund development. The new Senior Director of Fund Development will be responsible for securing financial resources from all donor segments, especially individual donors, to support our strategic plan. Our ideal candidate brings creativity and drive to increase our fundraising capabilities.
Technovation (technovation.org), a global tech education nonprofit, empowers girls and families to become leaders, creators, and problem-solvers. With support from corporate partners such as Adobe, Google, Salesforce, Boeing, Cisco, and NVIDIA, along with generous individuals, our flagship programs have engaged and transformed the lives of over 130,000 underserved youth and reached more than 28,000 industry mentors, educators, and parents in 100+ countries.
Our two signature programs bring to life our innovative, real-life learning model:
- Technovation Families unites families, schools, and mentors to learn, play, and create with artificial intelligence. Through hands-on projects, children (ages 8-16) and adults learn and use AI tools to address real-world problems in their communities. Among others, our program has been featured in The Wall Street Journal and Entrepreneur.
- Technovation Girls equips young women (ages 10-18) to become tech entrepreneurs and leaders. With the support of program mentors, girls work in teams to code mobile apps that address complex, real-world problems. We are featured in the award-winning documentary, CodeGirl, as well as publications including Fast Company, Forbes, and more.
This is an exciting time at Technovation. We dream big and we rely on data and teamwork to achieve ambitious goals. As a fast-paced, growing movement, we aim to leverage fundraising success and amplify our fundraising capacity to build a healthy reserve that allows for investment in program innovation and to deepen our impact in high-need communities.
We are a data-centric movement with a stellar track record of growth and measurable impact outcomes. In 2019, Technovation surpassed all fundraising goals. We are poised to launch a $35M+ fundraising campaign to deepen our program impact in our 100+ partner countries.
- Partner with CEO and staff to create, lead, and successfully execute annual and multi-year development plans, with an emphasis on metrics and outcomes that strengthen acquisition, retention, and value
- Lead fundraising from current and prospective funders with an emphasis on cultivation and stewardship that builds meaningful relationships and drives donor retention
- Introduce and generate enthusiasm for new actionable donor insights for corporate partners, including analysis of donor segments, key messages, and calls to actions
- Optimize our development operations to accurately record, maintain, and update donor and prospect records. Work with other members of the team on improving acknowledgment processes and stewardship activities
- Lead, grow, and retain a high-performing development team of staff, contractors, and volunteers to learn and apply fundraising best practices in order to achieve ambitious fundraising goals
- Work with development team to craft persuasive grant proposals and reports
- Support leadership team and Board of Directors in serving as key ambassadors of the movement.
- Contribute to leadership team decision-making and organizational planning
- Partner with communications teammates to create key messages and calls to action in materials, and execute all aspects of fundraising campaigns, from content strategy to campaign analytics
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement that values learning
Our ideal candidate has:
- An 8-10+ year track record of successfully fundraising at organizations with $3M+ revenue
- Demonstrated commitment to our mission
- Demonstrated success in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting multi-year gifts of over $500K from donors
- Excellent organizational skills, e.g., planning and managing deadlines, assets, and people
- A data-driven approach with demonstrated ability to share metrics and analytics
- Flexible, agile, strong work ethic
- Ability to travel (at least 1-2 times/ month)
- Proven track record of successfully managing and developing a growing staff
- Entrepreneurial, creative ability to conceive of and lead new ways to attract donors
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors to build long-term relationships through presentations and events.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plans
Meaningful work. You’ll contribute directly to growing a movement, empowering girls and families to learn and use cutting-edge technologies to solve real-world problems impacting them in 100+ countries.
Autonomy. We don’t micromanage. We trust you to communicate clearly and discuss decisions with any people affected. In collaboration and negotiation with colleagues, you will be responsible for fundraising decision making.
Generous benefits and compensation. We offer 20 paid vacation days plus all federal holidays. We pay 100% of your healthcare premiums including vision and dental. Retirement plan options available after 1-year with employer matching after 2-year vesting period. Target compensation is $100,000-$110,000 a year commensurate with experience and market rates.
Workplace input. We are open to adopting new workflows, new software, or other improvements that you think would increase our success, if you are able to champion and gain agreement for recommendations from colleagues.
Flexible work environment. We have core hours, but no one is looking over your shoulder. Go to appointments when you need to, as long as you’re getting your work done in good quality and on time.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity among its applicant pool as well as within our staff, Board, and partners. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Send the following to [email protected] using the subject line “Senior Director of Fund Development”:
- Resume (pdf format); and
- Sample pitch email/letter and accompanying strategy for finding, reaching and following up with prospective funder, businesswoman Abigail Johnson. In the strategy description, please briefly explain your rationale for your decisions. Please limit the document to 3 pages.