Full-Time; Remote (within the United States); 1 year contract with opportunity to extend
Technovation (technovation.org) is a global tech education nonprofit that empowers girls and families to become leaders, creators and problem-solvers. Over the past 14 years, Technovation has engaged more than 100,000 underserved children and parents across 115+ countries through two flagship programs:
Technovation Girls equips young women (ages 10-18) to become tech entrepreneurs and leaders. With the support of volunteer mentors, girls work in teams to code mobile apps that address real-world problems. You may have seen Technovation featured in the award-winning documentary, CodeGirl.
Technovation Families brings together families, schools, and mentors to learn, play, and create with artificial intelligence. Through hands-on projects, children (ages 8-16) and adults learn and use AI tools to address real-world problems in their communities.
Our vision is to inspire girls and families to be leaders and problem solvers in their lives and their communities.
About this Opportunity
Technovation is seeking a Curriculum Developer to refine our current curriculum and develop new mobile app and artificial intelligence (AI) problem solving curriculum for girls ages 8-18. The ideal candidate is passionate about creating awesome and accessible materials that help young people fall in love with science, engineering, technology and entrepreneurship — and encourages them to persist through a 60-hour program that connects all of those things.
This is a chance to be a part of a leading education technology nonprofit, in service to tens of thousands of girls and families in more than 100 countries.
One of the main goals of our work is to bring educational opportunities to underrepresented people and bring them into the technology workforce. We believe that with the right learning opportunities and support, everyone has the ability to learn and become technology creators.
- Build Technovation curriculum by developing resources, lesson plans, accompanying worksheets, activities, videos, standards alignment, and more for students and educators
- Scaffold our existing coding (mobile app development), AI, ideation, and entrepreneurship content to be more accessible to different age groups with different level of access to technology
- Integrate existing disparate curriculum units into one seamless experience
- Develop innovative and kid-friendly curriculum around new technologies like AI & Internet of Things
- Oversee the dissemination of curriculum and resources created (beyond making them available to participants in our competition) by developing videos, writing blog posts, hosting webinars, etc
- Collaborate with subject matter experts (academics, practitioners, etc.) to distill research and best practices into educational concepts
- Draft curriculum content and incorporate feedback from a wide range of reviewers and stakeholders
- Develop system of metrics to track curriculum effectiveness and use
- (As needed) Train scientists and engineers to communicate their expertise clearly to kids and young adults
- Has experience teaching coding and STEM concepts to K-12 students
- Has developed fun and engaging (long term, more than 10 hours long) STEM curriculum for kids or teens
- Works effectively with diverse people, organizations, communities, and cultures
- Is a strong writer and communicator, and is experimental in communicating ideas (not everything needs to be communicated through text)
- Has experience and desire to iterate and improve materials based on feedback and testing to ensure a meaningful learning experience
- Has the ability to conceptualize and build content for a variety of media types and audiences
- Has desire and willingness to learn about new fields of science and engineering
- Is comfortable working in dynamic, changing environments
- Is detail-oriented and dependable
- Has the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a small and virtual team
Meaningful work. You’ll contribute directly to growing a movement, empowering girls and families to learn and use cutting-edge technologies to solve real-world problems impacting them in 100+ countries.
Autonomy. In collaboration and negotiation with staff, you will make high level decisions about the work you will do, and how you will execute it. We don’t micromanage here. Just communicate clearly and discuss decisions with any people affected by it.
Generous benefits and compensation. We offer 20 paid vacation days plus all federal holidays. We pay 100% of your healthcare coverage. Salary commensurate with experience and market rates.
Workplace input. We are open to adopting new workflows, new software, or other improvements that you think would increase our success, if you are able to champion and gain agreement for recommendations from colleagues.
Flexible work environment. We have core hours, but no one is looking over your shoulder. Go to appointments when you need to, as long as you’re getting your work done in good quality and on time.
“Flat” organization. We do have a Leadership Team so that we know who to go to for help with issues and major decisions, and so that we have a clearly defined level of accountability, but you definitely won’t feel like you have a traditional boss or manager. All the way “up” to the CEO, we are transparent and honest. This isn’t fluff for a job posting, it’s something we actively practice and keep in check.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity among its applicant pool as well as within our staff, Board, and partners. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Please send an email to [email protected] using the subject line “Curriculum Developer” that includes:
- Your resume, including a link to your LinkedIn profile
- A cover letter expressing your interest in and alignment with the opportunity
- Screening task: How would you develop a far less text-heavy version of this lesson so that kids 8-12 could understand the big ideas and use them as they build their own apps? Submit your ideas as a lesson draft in any form that is easy for anyone to open and view.